Sunday, February 9, 2014

101 In 1001: DIY

Hey Y'all!
I hope you are having a great weekend! I just wanted to share a DIY post on a few of my crafts that I have started working on for my project.
Honest to goodness, these have probably turned out the best of the many DIY projects that I have tried. So, it's kind of like a big deal.
 
#1
I follow Sarah at Life On Virginia Street, and can I say that her office is a-mazing? She just shared a post on her office reveal, and it truly is beautiful. I had seen this beautiful painting behind her desk and thought how pretty it was. Luckily, she shared a DIY post a few days later (Que angels singing).
 
 
Life On Virginia Street
 
Her color combo is perfection. It's light, airy, and pretty.
I really like the idea of a thin frame too. It makes it look like a professional piece of artwork.
 
I knew that I wanted to paint a huge canvas to put over my bed since I don't have a headboard. My walls are a very light blue, almost cloudy, so I needed to use bold colors to keep my room from feeling like you are walking into a cloud when you open the door. It needed balance, no matter how much I loved the blue+green color combination.
 
Before going to buy my supplies, I looked online at a few craft stores nearby to see what specials they had going on. A. C. Moore had a few specials going on including a couple coupons that you could print and take to the store, and Hobby Lobby had almost the exact same special. I chose Hobby Lobby because the selection is HUGE and I was closer to it on Thursday. I was able to score 30% off my paints, and a coupon for 40% one regular priced item.
 
(Please excuse the lovely professional photos, my camera hates me)
If you would like a detailed post, view Sarah's here.
 
 
 
(I got excited when I started painting and didn't take any pictures...)
 


 
 
 
#2
I was walking through the JCPenny Home department and saw a few bins with 60-70% off signs. As I was looking, I found some lovely white mugs. They were originally $10 each, but with the discount, I only paid $2 each. I decided to attempt the "sharpie-on-mug" DIY project again. My first attempt was a disaster, imagine lots of time spent drawing and then sharpie washing right off.... :(
I didn't spend half as much time drawing this go-round, and I baked those puppies forever.
(@ 350 for about 45 minutes)
 
Well, they have started chipping already, but I don't even care. They are cute.
 

Inspired by this one.

Inspired by the much cuter one.

 

 
 
Did you try any DIY projects this week?
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon your super cute blog. Love all of the "pindid" posts.:)

    ReplyDelete